Skilled migration visas
Subclass 189 (skilled independent – permanent) - Independent
Subclass 190 (skilled nominated – permanent) - State Sponsored
Subclass 489 (skilled regional – provisional). – State or family Sponsored
These three points-tested skilled migration visa subclasses will require intending migrants pass a points test to be invited to apply for a visa.
The pass mark is the minimum number of points required to be eligible for a points tested skilled migration visa expression of interest (EOI) and is subject to change in response to Australian labour market needs. The current pass mark to apply for visas are 60 points.
Under SkillSelect, the ability to meet the points test mark will not guarantee an invitation to apply. Invitations will be issued periodically to the highest ranking expressions of interest subject to occupation ceilings.
An expression of interest is not an application for a visa. If you are invited to apply, you will have to demonstrate that the claims in your expression of interest are correct.
Points are awarded to following aspects
1. Age, at time of invitation
2. English language competency level at time of invitation
3. Australian skilled employment in nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, at time of invitation
4. Educational qualifications at time of invitation.
5. Australian study qualifications at time of invitation
6. Credentialled community language qualifications
7. Study in regional Australia or in a low population growth metropolitan area
8. Partner skill qualifications
9. Professional Year completion, for a period of at least 12 months in the four year period immediately before the day on which the invitation is issued
10. Nomination by State or Territory government
11. Sponsorship by an eligible family member, for residing and working in a pecified/designated area (visa subclass 489 only)
Who could apply for this Visas
You might be eligible to apply for this visa, if you are invited. At the time of the receipt of the invitation, you must have:
nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
not yet turned 50 years of age
achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
at least competent English